West African Chicken Peanut Spice Soup
- 6 Boned & skinned chicken breasts, thawed
- 2 Large onions, chopped
- 3 Tblsp garlic, chopped
- ½ Cup sesame oil
- 3 Tblsp curry powder*
- 1 Tblsp crushed red chilies*
- 1 Tblsp salt
- 1 Tblsp pepper
- 2 49.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 1 12 oz can tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can Italian stewed tomatoes**
- 1 Cup creamy peanut butter
1. In a large pot, sauté the chicken, onion, garlic,
sesame oil, curry powder, red chilies, salt and pepper for about 10
2. Add the remaining ingredients.
3. Stir well. Simmer. DO NOT BOIL.
SERVE: Serve on its own or over rice in a bowl.
NOTE: As listed, the soup will be quite spicy for some tastes:
* To reduce spiciness, use less curry powder and/or crushed chilies. You can also add an additional can of diced tomatoes.
** Substituting diced tomatoes for the stewed tomatoes cuts down on spiciness.
You can also serve with a spoonful of sour cream to reduce spiciness.
FREEZING: This recipe freezes well. I like to freeze it in small containers, so it takes less time to thaw.
EXTENDING: This recipe can be easily extended by adding more chicken, diced tomatoes, etc.