Suzan's Lentil Soup
Lentils are Good Luck for the new year!!! (an Italian tradition)
Make Lentil soup. YUM!! Your post is making me hungry, and I already had rigatoni alla vodka for dinner!
Lentil Soup w/Pasta:
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups dried lentils
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 cups cooked small shaped pasta,
...(ditalini, elbows or shells)
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Romano cheese
In a large saucepan, heat oil and saute the carrot, celery,
and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add garlic,
oregano, thyme, basil and lentils. Stir; cook 30 seconds.
Add broth, salt and pepper. Cover; simmer for 30 minutes
on low heat, until lentils are tender. Add pasta to lentils,
stir to combine and serve with grated cheese on top.
Serves 6. .................................