Pa Jon (Korean Scallion Pancakes)
These are little pancakes that you can use various ingredients
in. They are YUMMY! You can also add seafood or fish, if you like. They
are good with kimchi in them as well.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 to 4 scallions, bottom and top quarter trimmed, cut in half and then into thin slices
- 1/2 red pepper, cut in thin strips(I don't use these in mine)
- 1/2 zucchini (skin on), cut into thin strips
- 2 to 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Mix flour, water, and salt to make a thin batter.
2. Add scallions, red pepper, and zucchini to the batter and mix well.
3. Heat a nonstick frying pan on medium heat for about one minute.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan and let heat for about a minute until the oil is hot.
5. If you are making 2 large pancakes, ladle half the batter and
vegetables into the hot oil. Distribute the batter and vegetables
evenly around the pan. Fry for about three minutes before turning. Flip
the pancake over and press the pancake flat with a spatula.
6. Fry for another 2-3 minutes. Flip again and fry an additional
minute. Transfer pancake to warm plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
You can make smaller pancakes if you choose.
7. Serve hot with dipping sauce (see accompanying recipe).
FOR THE DIPPING SAUCE
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
1 teaspoon sugar
Pepper to taste
1/2 scallion, minced (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
2 teaspoons vinegar (optional)
1. Mix all the ingredients, including whichever optional ingredients you like. Serve in small, individual serving bowls.