One Pot Brown Rice & Vegetables
While this is usually served as a whole one pot meal, can be served as side dish too.
I’m going to write the recipe using Carolina brand “Natural
Whole Grain Brown Rice,” the kind that comes in a bag and takes
either 30 or 45 minutes to cook, per the package instructions. This
makes about 4 full-meal sized portions; you can easily follow the rice
package’s directions to make more and change the other
ingredients accordingly. Makes great leftovers. [Jacqueline's note:
This dish is also referred to as 'Maurice'. I happen to love calling it
- Brown Rice – 1 cup dry
- Onion – ½ - 1 (depending on size of onion and your taste), diced
- Butter – Approx. 3 tablespoons
- Fresh mushrooms, chopped coarsely – 3-5 cups raw
- Water - 1 cup
- Chicken broth – 1 cup
- Black pepper, fresh ground – a generous amount
- Vegetables of your choice – broccoli florets, peas, carrots, etc.
- Black Beans-one can Goya frijoles negros
On the stovetop:
1. Heat the butter. When melted, add the onions and pepper.Sauté until the onions are clear.
2. Add the chicken broth and mushrooms, stir. Cover and simmer two minutes.
3. Add the rice and the water, more pepper. Stir gently then cover. Set
timer for 45 minutes (or amount of time per ricepackage)
4. When there are 13-15 minutes left to cook, add the vegetables and more pepper (if you like pepper.) Do not stir. Cover.
5. When there are 5 minutes left, add the beans. Stir continually until the water is fully absorbed and the dish is finished.