King Ranch Casserole
This King Ranch Casserole recipe is really good. It freezes
wonderfully. I usually make twice the batch and freeze one. It is
especially good served with fresh salsa and chips. You can use slightly
less or slightly more of most things in the recipe - except the soups
as a general rule.
- 1 1/2 - 2 lbs chicken breasts. Boil the chicken -
(add spices such as garlic, cumin chili powder etc. if you so desire)
about 45 minutes. Drain and cool and then shred the chicken into bite
In a big bowl combine the following:
- 1 large diced onion (sweet onions are my preference)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (reduced fat or regular work just fine)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 6 oz of shredded cheese (medium or sharp) or you can use Velveeta
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chiles (I use Rotel)
- 1 large can (7 oz) of diced green chiles
Add the cooked chicken to this mixture - if it feels too thick add a little water or milk. Should be oatmeal like in texture.
Layer in a casserole dish: Corn tortilla (total of about 20 cut into
quarters), layer of chicken mixture and repeat until it is used up.
Top the casserole with about 8 oz of shredded cheese.
Bae at 350 or so for about 30 minutes (If frozen, bake covered for about 30 minutes and uncover for about another 30 minutes)
MMmmmmm. Now I'm hungry!