Kelly's Homemade Pie Crust
If you have a food processor, pie crust is a SNAP! This is the recipe I use.
Yields: Enough for two 9-inch Pie Crusts
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
1. Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in food processor. Add
butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal, about 8 to 10
seconds. For hand method, place dry ingredients in large bowl. Add
butter; blend with pastry cutter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
2. Add ice water in a slow steady stream through feed tube of food
processor with machine running, until the dough holds together for no
longer than 30 seconds. For hand method, mix dough with a wooden spoon,
adding water until dough just holds together.
3. Turn dough onto piece of plastic wrap. Press into flat circle, or
rectangle depending on what shape you intend to roll out pastry to.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour. May be frozen,
double wrapped in plastic, for several months.