Gluten-Free Flax Bread
I'm on a new quest to find yummy gluten free (and, preferably
dairy-free) recipes. Here's one I tried today for bread. (I found it on
the web.) It's really quite tasty and has the consistency of "normal"
bread. Slices well and works great for sandwiches. All the unique
ingredients are available at Bob's Red Mill.
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup garfava flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup flax seed meal
- 2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup water or milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
1. Combine flours, flax, starches, gum, yeast, and salt.
2. In your mixer, mix the wet ingredients, then add the dry ones.
3. Scrape the sides of the bowl down, and mix on medium speed 4-5 minutes.
4. Pour into 9x5 loaf pan, and wait for it to rise to the top of the
pan. A great idea is to let it rise in a turned off oven. (Keeping it
5. Bake at 350F for about 40 minutes.
6. Remove from pan and cool it.