Four Bean Salad
This recipe is adapted from the Vegetarian For Dummies
cookbook recipe. I've added a 4th bean (chickepea) and cut back on the
original amount of pepper which seemed excessive. If you love pepper,
double the amount here. David and I adore this salad. The sweet and
sour type of flavor is addictive! It is also rich in fiber and of
course cholesterol-free (as are all veggies.) Be sure to let it
marinade long enough. It shouldn't be made immediately before serving
but needs time for the flavors to meld. (Overnight, really.)
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can cut green beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can cut yellow wax beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 C chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion, chopped (Yes, not a half a cup, just a half an onion, however much that is.)
- 1/2 C sugar
- 2/3 C cider vinegar
- 1/3 C vegetable oil (like canola or extra light olive oil.
Extra-Virgin olive oil will impart too much distinct flavor, I think.)
- 1/2 t salt
- about 1 t freshly ground black pepper
1. Put green, wax, kidney and garbanzo beans along w/ green pepper and onion in a large bowl.
2. In separate bowl, combine sugar, vinegar and oil and stir well until
sugar is nearly completely dissolved. Pour over bean mixture and add
salt and pepper.
3. Cover bowl w/ saran wrap/lid and leave in refrigerator overnight.
Stir up the beans in the morning so they all get to marinate.