Chicken With Olives
Made this last night...it is SOOOOO GOOD! It is a Moroccan dish.
Use mixed olives...like those you can find at the deli. DO NOT use those nasty canned black things.
We absolutely LOVED this! The flavors are VERY complex and sweet and savory at the same time.
- -2T. olive oil
- -3-4 pounds chicken legs and thighs(I used boneless skinless thighs)
- -1 large onion, chopped
- -2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- -1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- -1 Tablespoon chopped garlic
- -1 teaspoon ground cumin
- -1 teaspoon paprika
- -Freshly ground pepper
- -2 cups chicken stock
- -1 1/2 cups pitted mixed olives
- -juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Put oil in deep skillet and brown chicken, sprinkle chicken with a freshly ground pepper.
-Remove chicken to plate.
-Add onion, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, cumin, paprika, about 1/2t. of freshly ground pepper to the skillet.
-Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onion softens.
- Add stock and raise heat to medium high.
- Stir to release brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return chicken to pan and cook at a lively simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add olives and continue to cook till chicken is done, 10-15 minutes.
-Add lemon juice, then taste. Add salt if needed. The olives are very salty, so it MAY not need any additional salt.
-Serve with rice...the juice tastes AWESOME on rice. YUM!