African Black Bean & Sweet Potato Burritos
I found this recipe a few years back while searching online. It's Pillsbury Bake-Off winner Anita Price's recipe from VA 1996.
These are really, really yummy! The peanut butter gives it a
nice touch. It really is important to include in the toppings the fresh
cilantro and salsa. The sour cream is pretty nice in it too. It will
definitely not taste the same if you leave out the cilantro!
- 1 T oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 T chunky all natural peanut butter (I use Trader Joe's all natural creamy. You *do* need all natural for the right flavor!)
- 1 (23 oz) can sweet potatoes, rinsed & drained (I can't
find this size can, so I buy 2 small ones and take out a little extra
that I don't need and put it aside from one of them to make it close to
the 23 ounces.)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 6 flour tortillas
- Salsa, sour cream, chopped green onion, cilantro
1. In large skillet over med heat, heat oil and add onion, cook a couple of mins then add garlic and cook another min.
2. Sir in peanut butter, potatoes & beans, mash slightly.
3. Stir in seasonings/spices and mix well.
4. Cover and simmer a couple of minutes until it's all warmed up.
5. Heat your tortillas however you like (we do a damp paper towel
wrapped around them for 1 min in the microwave) then load them up!